Friday 14 June 2013

#BEDJ14 Don't Dream it, Be It

So I couldn't post yesterday due to how much of an intensely busy day it was BUT I have many a story from it to make up the lack of posting.

First of all, I went to see Rocky Horror. To a thespian kid who's never really fully felt comfortable with the squeaky clean nature of musicals, but definitely (a little too much actually) enjoyed the idea of them, Rocky Horror is perfect. I watched the film when I was 14, slightly too young to grasp the full picture, but old enough to embrace it anyway - and fell insanely in love with it. Ever since then, it's always been attached to my bucket list.

There's something extremely unique about how timeless it is. The community never really changes - it just gets bigger and better. I think I will like ANYTHING which is defiant of the norms and has means of being empowering, but a musical that does that, is literally paradise. Which isn't also to say, however, that Rocky Horror is devoid of any problems or critique. But I won't focus too much on that, because I had a pretty awesome time all and all.

Of course, I  dressed as Columbia. I have no idea why I have such an intense love for her character, because really, we aren't that much a like. I just like how (even though this is the same for all rocky horror characters, it's just hers especially) she doesn't fit into musicals but rocks it anyway. Her voice is jarring, her moves a little bit too quick and fruity, her appearance striking - Columbia represents everything I wish I could see on stage.  We also both have crooked teeth. Paired with a gold glitter hat and silver glitter shoes, I practised hiccuping mid speech and laughing manically - and of course - feeling fabulous in order to gear up for my role.

The atmosphere is something really, really rewarding. When we first arrived and got out of our taxi, a man behind us dressed as a Frank N Furter said ''You know there's something up when I'm wearing higher heels then you ladies''.  He also rocked a pair of heels way more then I ever could. Everyone there, even before the play had  begun, was just instantly willing to talk to you and make jokes and generally just have a good time. I was a little nervous that it wouldn't be that way,  because obviously, after hearing so much about how much of a  community the show is - I didn't want to be let down. Another thing which was awesome about the audience was the way they enhanced the show's experience. For example, the people sat on our row all sheltered newspapers on their heads like Janet does throughout There's A Light, while other people shone torches and glow sticks. The audience participation was great, there were so many people there that shouted out, some knowing the typical phrases, while other people hurling them out randomly, and of course the beloved Time Warp was everything it possibly could be.

The overall production was also impressive. The casting was literally flawless - each character played homage t the movie portrayal, but added their own fare to it with like a variation in their accent or switching up their movement a little. The obvious stand out was Frank N Furter, who was played by Oliver Thornton. He commanded the stage so naturally, while also making his Frnk N Futer very emotional and raw at points. The only downfalls was Magenta & Brad. Magenta, who was an understudy, obviously felt a little out of place and time. She didn't command enough as Magenta, nor did she have that low, husky demeana - but having said that she wasn't entirely all that bad. Brad's voice was lovely, and his performance wasn't  terrible - It's just his accent slipped at times and his interactions on stage were kinda off putting. In terms of the technical choices, I was personally impressed. Enough colour and interesting set design without it being too in your face.

It's safe to say I gave myself over to absolute pleasure.

Music for this blogpost

The entire Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack.



No comments:

Post a Comment