Saturday 15 June 2013

#BEDJ15 A Slow Partner

There's something really frustrating about not being able to read books at the pace you would like. It seems, that people believe that by reading books fast,  your ability to enjoy the book is higher. Not too mention also your general intelligence level, too.

That is a huge, huge literacy myth.

 I hate when people always feel as if they should justify as to why they haven't read their books 'fast enough'.  There's a plethora of different reasons as to why people don't read fast, and they don't need justification.

I have always read slow - Ever since I was a child. Whenever my dad told stories to me and my sister, he would deliberately cut off at a tense point. The tales of Jimbob and Raynard, made up stories my dad told us about a relationship between a talking fox and a farmer,  was our absolute and our absolute favourite. Whenever they found themselves in peril - the story would end until tomorrow night. That way, it belonged to me and my sister. We would speculate all day, grow increasingly more excited, come up with theories as to what would happened next, it created such a wonderful relationship between reader and story. Then, naturally, with other books, I would do the same. I would cut off purposefully at point just to make the suspense feel more heightened.  It's like watching a TV Show and the screen fades to black when their is a gun to the protagonist's head - The exhilarating feeling you get from not knowing what would happen next is so rewarding for me.

I also don't like consuming too much information all at once. My brain will just overload after a while and I won't be concentrating all that much, and I'll miss important parts of the narrative. By breaking it into small chunks  - this doesn't happen and I really take in whatever was going on in that chapter, as it gives me time to think about is as an individual sector.

This doesn't mean/reflect anything about my intelligence or reading abilities.

And if you do find reading difficult, that is perfectly okay. You can still enjoy the book just as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment