Monday 11 November 2013

Old Habits Die Hard

The human race have got it wrong because they are always telling themselves phrases like, ''it will get better'' instead of ''this is a process where it will get better, then worse, then better and you will somehow have to find a way with dealing with that.''

I was thinking a lot the other day about the J.D sallinger quote, 'I have scars on my hands from touching certain people' and it reminded me how easy it is to not imagine human beings complexly: with their sets of emotions and histories. You don't see it on a person, and most people damn well don't show it - but those 'emotional scars' if you will, are definitely there.

Human beings are extremely messy and I find it strange how it's just too easy to forget that, to forget that other people are feeling things all the time. It's easy to forget that souls grow tired easily, and the scars that they carry from touching other people,  just don't fade sometimes.

Picking yourself up from gutters is an extremely hard thing to do and it's a miracle that we even posses the ability to do so, and most of the time, the picking yourself up is entirely on your own accord. We somehow carry ourselves through the sadness, through the bad history and bad patches, and we carry on. But nobody else really knows that, there is no gold star or huge parade, you just do it, I guess.

And I think it's kind of okay that we don't have that gold star or huge parade or even just people noticing that we're picking ourselves up. I think it has to come from you, and you alone - because you know that badness will return, nobody's life is devoid of that, but you will  also know that when it does come, you're going to be your own hero.


Don't forget that being a messy human being is sometimes the only thing you can be. Something which I wrote for nanowrimo  which made me think that, ''Here was a man that was plagued by being the one thing he is supposed to be: a human. ''


I have seen the darkness of the day in the form of a UCAS application and Nanowrimo all in one month but I am still *alive, gang. Keep being messy.

*Half alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment