Friday 20 December 2013

Loose Ends

I am not a self proclaimed perfectionist, but I do not like having Loose Ends in my life.

Something I have grown steadily more aware of  recently is my ''obsessive'' tendencies when it comes to trying to get things done. I've noticed that once I fret over a thing so incredibly much, the thing literally becomes kind of impossible to do. Like, I always find myself setting targets throughout the day, and if I do not achieve those targets, I really don't feel accomplished - and this will still happen even if the day I just had was super productive. That just won't matter. If I had to ''print out a sheet'' and I didn't print out the sheet, my mind will go fricking ape shit . If I decided to climb a mountain that day and achieved it, my brain will still think ''You did not print out that sheet and you promised yourself you would! YOU'RE A LIAR!''

Let me explain what a Loose End is: It's the feeling of when you are wrapped up in a warm bed and you need to pee, and you know you should have gone before you wrapped up warm, but now you are just laid there ignoring it and your bladder is literally about to explode (Great metaphor there Lucy, you can totally tell you are a Nanowrimo participant). You think you are safe and you can relax - but something else looming over you in your brain's to do list jumps out at you, and you  just won't feel okay again until you tie up that Loose End.

So what's the huge moral behind this weird anxiety which makes you a perfectionist that doesn't really strive  for perfection? To be honest, I don't think there is one. If the human brain was a person, I would not like it to sit next to me on public transport.

No comments:

Post a Comment